Friday, November 25, 2011

A great day in the city

First of all, I successfully participated in another Buy Nothing Day. All I purchased was breakfast and lunch for a total of $14. I did not set foot in a single store.
I finally went to Occupy Wall Street. I marched. I chanted. I was (and still am) incredibly inspired, and a little more hopeful than I was this time yesterday. I stood in front of the New York Stock Exchange and exercised my First Amendment rights and it felt so liberating. My first time on Wall Street, and I was protesting the very existence of Wall Street. Perfect. I wish I could write more about it but it's difficult for me to put into words. Here's a photo:

I also saw my first opera today, Faust. I didn't love it but I liked it a lot. The Met is pretty impossible to describe but I'll try: breathtaking, gargantuan, sparkly. Haha. Sounds like I'm talking about a diamond. My best friend is in the student ambassador program at the Met so he gets free tickets to dress rehearsals and performances sometimes. We went to the final dress rehearsal of Faust. I'm thinking about asking for tickets to see The Barber of Seville (don't feel like typing out Italian, sorry) in February. Hmmmm.
My Thanksgiving was great. I ate reasonable portions and enjoyed every bite! Also, the only things I ate that weren't vegan: whipped cream and a tiny sliver of apple pie. My 5K didn't go quite as well as I hoped it would (I finished in 37:06) but that's alright. It's still much faster than any of my 5K training runs have been in the past month so I'm not too unhappy. All the participants got free apple pies! Here's a photo of my boyfriend and I from the morning of the race:

I ate as close to vegan as I could today. The only things I ate that weren't vegan: a pat of butter and a little bit of whipped cream. I ain't even mad. Calories are way too high for a rest day but I didn't binge and I made good choices while eating out. Sometimes that's all I can ask of myself.
Tomorrow: hitting the gym (or the pavement for a walk) early, breakfast with a friend from high school,  cleaning and packing, possibly grocery shopping, visiting grandparents, heading to my boyfriend's for an entire week (yay!)
This week I am going to the elementary school his mom works at (she's a speech pathologist). I'm going to shadow her for a few days and then volunteer in some classrooms. I'm really excited! I haven't spent time with kids in a long time and I'm hoping spending some time in elementary schools over break will help me start to figure out whether I want to get my elementary or secondary teaching certification.
Going to read a bit before bed. Goodnight, whoever is reading this! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment