Sunday, November 13, 2011

Reminiscing already

I just sneezed and my eye started twitching. I'm starting to care less about being organized- that might just be a week 10 thing, or it might demarcate an actual change in my being. Not sure right now, don't care right now. I am going HOME in four days. I'm excited for a lot of reasons but I also know I'm going to be homesick for school? Schoolsick for school? Haha.

Because I doubt I'll have time during this last jam-packed week of fall term I'm going to list the highlights of the past few months now.


  • That night we played all of those 'games' before we left for our OOPs trips...in reality everyone just ran around screaming and crashing into each other, and I was so fucking happy. 
  • OOPs Baxter State Park extravaganza. Climbed the highest mountain in Maine; ate wicked good food; slept in a tent with four wonderful people; didn't shower for a week; slid down a natural water slide over a dozen times and bruised my butt; stargazed; CHOW CIRCLES; made the best memories EVER (ghost avocado).
  • ^ "Step into the flow and then I let it go, I open my mind, my heart, and my soul. I surrender...I surrender...I surrender...I open my mind, my heart, and my soul." --> singing this at the top of Katahdin
  • Playing Zombies in the dark...and almost winning (!!)
  • That random improvisational jazz circle before said game of Zombies
  • When we watched that movie about racism during orientation and had an amazing discussion afterward
  • First (and only) contra dance of the term- an experience to be sure.
  • Cooking dinner for 15 people
  • How the song "Welcome Home, Son" seems to describe perfectly how it feels being here
  • Listening to the wind chimes every morning and being reminded of the beginning of that^ song...seriously, it's amazing
  • When we lost power during Hurricane Irene and I thought a tree was going to crash through my window
  • All of the wonderful, hilarious conversations I've had with my roommate- and on that note, actually having a GOOD roommate, someone who is sweet and considerate and so much fun, so smart, such a wonderful person
  • Meeting people from so many different states and countries
  • All of the "warm-up" activities we started doing in CSCS..stretching circles, interpretive dance, African drumming
  • Baking vegan coconut lime banana bread
  • All of the company outings, where we ate all teh foods
  • The many dinners/potlucks on Saturday evenings throughout the term
  • JPH. Popovers. 'Nuff said about that. ALSO my 50% discount there..
  • Seeing deer all the time, and almost crashing into one while walking on campus
  • People sleeping outside in hammocks. Even right now. It's November.
  • Hiking the Jordan Cliffs by myself...and feeling invincible
  • When we dyed our hair and someone's hair turned green and then we tried to use Crystal Light to get it out
  • Potluck at the blue house; word games; homemade beer; so much SALAD
  • Performing at the open mic...one of the scariest and most liberating things I've done in a while
  • As much trouble as it gave me, my service-learning project was an amazing experience
  • The fact that I am actually starting to LIKE TOFU
  • Finding the ultimate smoothie combination at the cafe (blueberry+raspberry+apple cider)
  • Watching the sunset from the pier
  • Reminding myself every day that yes, I live here, yes, this is my life, yes, it is fucking amazing
  • Ladies Night at Geddys...aka Shirley Temples all around
  • Cinnamon buns..the time they worked and the time they didn't
  • The various incarnations of our 'M' jokes
    • Salad bar snob
    • Penis head
    • Morning glory
    • Hair similarities
    • Borderline stalking
  • The time aforementioned individual chased someone around the room
  • The time aforementioned individual was doing a juice fast and acted like he was on speed
  • Finally being introduced to Bollywood films and Indian cinema...which I love
  • The time we had a class brunch meeting during a storm and no one showed up
  • The time aforementioned individual told me my paper was publishable. UM
  • Getting to write about Derrick Jensen for one of my final papers
  • COMPOSTING
  • Finally getting introduced to critical theory/cultural studies
  • CULTURE JAMMIN'
  • FINALLY UNDERSTANDING LACAN
  • Learning how to make kale chips
  • Becoming better at reusing things instead of just recycling them
  • Discovering Serendipity and the Goodwill...no need to buy new clothes ever again
  • Seeing Bubble Rock!!
  • Finally figuring out why the fuck Eyes Wide shut used to freak me out
  • Hearing the people in my house make beautiful music very frequently
  • Living amongst so many open-minded and wonderful people
  • Convocation! Cook out! Bar Island Swim!
  • Getting that awesome wool hat for 8 bucks
  • Actually being pushed really hard by a professor...being challenged and forced to produce work that is the very best of my abilities
  • Scoring a job on-campus. Woot.
  • The time they put rosewater in the cake..
  • Prank phone calls
  • "I do Zumba while I drive" "WHAT THE HELL"
  • Davis's lecture, and how it changed my life, sort of...and inspired a new tattoo idea
  • Pedagogy of the Oppressed
  • Getting Jenna's zine in the mail
  • Trying to become a less judgmental person and succeeding in a lot of respects
  • When we fucked up the pumpkin pie and just ate it ALL
  • Halloween decorations
  • Putting an end to my caffeine dependency!
  • Having really meaningful conversations EVERY DAY
  • Making collages for the first time in years
  • Becoming more conscious of my own actions in relation to the environment/being "green"
  • Everything I did with my boyfriend when we got to see each other including
    • Apple picking
    • Cooking and baking
    • Making him eat vegetables!
    • Watching Big Bang Theory
    • Dressing up fancy and going out for dinner
    • Editing papers
    • Having "intellectual" conversations
    • Singing songs and slow-dancing around my room
    • Squishing ourselves into my tiny bed
    • Our numerous (infinite) Skype calls
    • Buying sweaters together
    • Guitar lessons
    • Seeing his favorite local band play
  • Perhaps most importantly-- deciding that WE'RE GETTING ENGAGED IN DECEMBER
  • HE brunch meeting. wicked good.
  • That night my friend and I had shitty days (forced to stay in class for 3 hours, angry at the world, etc.) and ate so much Chinese food we almost threw up
  • ACTUALLY GETTING SLEEP. Is this college?
  • Running/walking on the Shore Path...at sunrise. heaven.
  • Actually getting to see the sun rise and set all of the time
  • When they have granola without nuts at breakfast
  • Discovering I am no longer allergic to soy milk!
  • The morning I volunteered at the farm- honestly, it was worth the soreness in my legs that didn't go away for over a WEEK (i think)
  • Silly webcam photos
  • Puppet show the day before classes started
  • Midsummer Night's Dream
  • Learning so many new things and developing so many new interests
You'll laugh, but this is by no means an exhaustive list.
And now I'm going to bed. And doing it all over again in the morning. And for the next four years...this is my life, and it is as close to perfect as a life could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment